WASHINGTON — Factual Democracy Project will host a press call at 1 PM ET TUESDAY, NOV. 21 to discuss the effects of sustained disinformation campaigns on a population over a sustained period. As Americans learn more about how their social media is being manipulated by Russia and other hostile actors, this call will focus on the effects of such manipulation. From Ukraine to the US our panelists will discuss the effects of sustained disinformation and what those seeking to inoculate themselves should be on the lookout for.
- Tom Jensen, Director, PPP Polling. Longtime pollster Tom Jensen conducted recent national polling exploring whether Americans think Facebook should take steps to prevent foreign powers from using fake news to meddle in our elections.
- Claire Wardle, Research Fellow at Harvard Shorenstein Center and Founder of First Draft News, a nonprofit coalition to raise awareness and address challenges relating to trust and truth in the digital age.
- Margo Gontar, co-founder and editor of the Ukrainian fact-checking and propaganda-debunking website StopFake. Her work has appeared in Politifact, the New York Times, NPR and the Guardian, among others.
- Nate Snyder, Former Senior Obama Counterterrorism Official at U.S. DHS & U.S. Countering Violent Extremism Task Force. Before joining the Department of Homeland Security, Snyder earned his Masters in National Security, Counterterrorism and Irregular Warfare.
- Angelo Carusone, President, Media Matters. Before joining Media Matters, he organized the successful Twitter-based #StopBeck effort. He has a bachelor’s degree in American studies from Fordham University and a law degree from the University of Wisconsin.
Factual Democracy Project, founded by Melissa Ryan, brings together experts that span tech, media, national security and civil society groups to explain how to fight back against efforts that use fake news — propaganda, disinformation, and misinformation to disrupt our elections and our Democracy.
A spinoff of Ryan’s weekly 5,000 reader weekly newsletter, Ctrl Alt Right Delete, Factual Democracy Project was crowdfunded with more than $23,000 of seed funding from 256 donors.
Melissa Ryan is the Founder of Factual Democracy Project and the author of the Ctrl Alt Right Delete weekly newsletter. She’s spent a decade leading digital campaigns for nonprofits and political races, including EMILY’s List, Barack Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign, the New Organizing Institute, and Senator Russ Feingold.
Ryan is an expert on the intersection of politics, media, and technology. She’s often called on by conference organizers and the press to speak on these topics. Visit her website at melissaryan.net or follow her on Twitter @MelissaRyan.
Nov. 16, 2017